Travel and Medical Insurance

The NZ Government (NZQA) requires all international students to have appropriate medical and travel insurance for the duration of their enrolment at NZLC and for travel to and from New Zealand, regardless of the type of visa they hold. Schools can only accept insurance policies written in English and which meet the requirements set out in the NZQA Education (Pastoral Care of International Students) Code of Practice 2016.

An acceptable insurance policy includes:
• Medical care in New Zealand, including diagnosis, prescription, surgery, and hospitalisation; and
• Repatriation or expatriation of the student as a result of serious illness or injury, including cover of travel costs incurred by family members assisting repatriation or expatriation; and
• Death of the student, including cover of: 1. travel costs of family members to and from New Zealand; and 2. costs of repatriation or expatriation of the body; and 3. funeral expenses
• A reputable and established insurer with a credit rating no lower than ‘A’ from Standard and Poors or B+ from A M Best.
• An insurer who is able to provide 24 hour service, seven days a week.
• Amounts for health cover should be for an unlimited sum insured.

To avoid confusion, NZLC strongly recommends arranging a policy through NZLC prior to arrival in New Zealand.
Insurance will be arranged with an NZQA compliant insurer such as Southern Cross (, Orbit Protect ( or Uni-care (
If the student’s own insurance policy does not meet the conditions outlined above, the student will be required to upgrade their policy or order one through NZLC, which can be requested at any time during the enrolment process or on arrival.

For more information, visit 2016 Code of Practice English and Code of Practice Guideline.

Translate »